Call for PhD student
Project Title: Assessing pneumococcal carriage and disease among children and adults during the time of transition from PCV10 to PCV13.
Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) is a basic/translational biomedical and clinical epidemiology researches, and clinical trial facility under the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. In addition, AHRI is known as a hub for skill and technology transfer by providing competitive post graduate research training opportunities. Accordingly, AHRI would like to recruit a competent PhD student for the following project.
Project Summary: Despite the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs), Streptococcus pneumoniae still remains to be an important cause of morbidity and mortality among children and adults. PCV10 was introduced in Ethiopia in October 2011 and a decision has now been made to switch to PCV13. In order to assess the impact of PCV10 to date and the foreseeable impact of the introduction PCV13, it is quite important to identify the distribution of pneumococcal serotypes. The proposed project will have three components: I) Longitudinal analysis of pneumococcal carriage among infant-mother pairs. II) Etiology of acute otitis media among children and its association with pneumococcal carriage and III) Pneumococcal carriage and invasive and non-invasive pneumococcal- pneumonia among adults. The aim of the project is to be determine the magnitude of pneumococcal carriage and disease, distribution of the impact of PCV in children and adults.
Student Requirements: A competent candidate for the studentship should fulfill the following criteria:
- Should have BSc and MSc level training in biomedical sciences
- Should have adequate research experience involving microbiology and an exposure to molecular techniques.
- Should be a PhD student registered at public universities in Ethiopia and completed the required first year course work in their PhD program.
- Should be ready to dedicate 100% of her/his time for the project.
Value of Studentship: This position/studentship cover full research costs for the whole duration of the PhD project. It does not provide stipend for PhD students.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit the following to AHRI, Research Training Directorate (firstname.lastname@example.org ) in soft copy.
- A cover letter and their CV, including full contact details of two referees.
- Copies of their BSc and MSc degrees and transcripts and
- Copy of transcript reflecting first year PhD courses.
Note: Please make sure you mention the project title in the application (motivation letter)
Application closing date: November 13,2020