Bacterial and Viral Diseases
Bacterial and Viral Diseases Research Directorate (BVDRD)Bal Diseases Research
The Bacterial and Viral Diseases Research Directorate (BVDRD) is one of the research directorates and has two research teams: Bacterial and Fungal Diseases Research and Viral Diseases Research team.
The main research activities of the Directorate is to undertake research activities in the areas mentioned below and contribute in medical research capacity building through supporting Msc and PhD students.
Current research areas:
- Understanding aetiology and Molecular Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases
- Antimicrobial Resistance
- Assessing vaccine efficacy
- Development of in-house PCR assays
- Argaw B, Mihret A, Aseffa A, Tarekegne A, Hussen S, Wachamo D, Shimelis T, Howe R. Seroprevalence of hepatitis B virus markers and associated factors among children in Hawassa City, southern Ethiopia. BMC Infect Dis. 2020 Jul 22;20 (1):528.
- Teka B, Gizaw M, Ruddies F, Addissie A, Chanyalew Z, Skof AS, Thies S, Mihret A, Kantelhardt EJ, Kaufmann AM, Abebe T. Population-based human papillomavirus infection and genotype distribution among women in rural areas of South Central Ethiopia. Int J Cancer. 2020 Sep 1.
- Lemma M, Petkov S, Bekele Y, Petros B, Howe R, Chiodi F. Profiling of Inflammatory Proteins in Plasma of HIV-1-Infected Children Receiving Antiretroviral Therapy. Proteomes. 2020 Sep 7;8(3):E24.
- Eshetu D, Shimelis T, Nigussie E, Shumie G, Chali W, Yeshitela B, Assefa A, Gadisa E. Seropositivity to dengue and associated risk factors among non-malarias acute febrile patients in Arba Minch districts, southern Ethiopia. .BMC Infect Dis. 2020 Aug 31;20 (1):639.
- Ayana DA, Mulu A, Mihret A, Seyoum B, Aseffa A, Howe R. Occult Hepatitis B virus infection among HIV negative and positive isolated anti-HBc individuals in eastern Ethiopia. Sci Rep. 2020 Dec 17;10(1):22182.
- Sebre S, Abegaz WE, Seman A, Awoke T, Desalegn Z, Mihret W, Mihret A, Abebe T Bacterial Profiles and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Isolates from Inanimate Hospital Environments at Tikur Anbessa Specialized Teaching Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Infect Drug Resist. 2020 Dec 14;13:4439-4448
- Kiros M, Alemayehu DH, Geberekidan E, Mihret A, Maier M, Abegaz WE, Mulu A Increased HIV-1 pretreatment drug resistance with consistent clade homogeneity among ART-naive HIV-1 infected individuals in Ethiopia. Retrovirology. 2020 Sep 29;17(1):33.
- Geteneh A, Kassa T, Alemu Y, Alemu D, Kiros M, Andualem H, Abebe W, Alemayehu T, Alemayehu DH, Mihret A, Mulu A, Mihret W. Enhanced identification of Group B streptococcus in infants with suspected meningitis in Ethiopia. PLoS One. 2020 Nov 19;15(11):e0242628
- Dessie BK, Melaku S, Gari SR, Ayele BT, Desta AF, Mihret A. Evaluation of toxic elements in nails of tannery workers in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Microchemical Journal 2020;159, 105589
- Mihret W, Sletbakk Brusletto B, Øvstebø R, Siebke Troseid AM, Norheim G, Merid Y, Kassu A, Abebe W, Ayele S, Silamsaw Asres M, Yamuah L, Aseffa A, Petros B, Caugant DA, Brandtzaeg P Molecular studies of meningococcal and pneumococcal meningitis patients in Ethiopia. Innate Immun. 2019 Apr;25(3):158-167
- Abraham Aseffa, Ebba Abate, Berhanu Seyoum, Tesfaye Kassa, Tamrat Abebe, Anteneh Amsalu, Abebaw Bitew, Tsegaye Alemayehu, Zeleke Ayenew, Zeleke Gizachew, Daniel Demissie, Sebsib Neway, Biruk Yeshitela, Andargachew Mulu, Adane Mihret, Taye Tolera Balcha, Rawleigh Howe. Investigations on Antimicrobial Resistance: Contributions of a Clinical Research Network. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 3
- Abebaw Bitew, Birhanemeskel Tegene, Biruk Yeshitila, Rawleigh Howe, Ebba Abate, Mulat Dagnew. Bacterial Profile, Antibacterial Susceptibility Pattern and Associated Factors among Women Attending Antenatal and Postnatal Health Services at the University of Gondar Teaching Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 9-22
- Daniel Demissie, Berhanu Seyoum, Melake Demena, Biruk Yeshitila. Septicemia, Bacterial Isolates and Drug Susceptibility among Women Attending Delivery at Dilchora Hospital, Dire Dawa, Eastern Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 23
- Zeleke Gizachew, Tesfaye Kassa, Getnet Beyene, Rawleigh Howe, Biruk Yeshitela. Multi-Drug Resistant Bacteria and Associated Factors among Reproductive Age Women with Significant Bacteriuria. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 31
- Tsegaye Alemayehu, Endale Tadesse, Sosina Ayalew, Bezaye Nigusse, Biruk Yeshitila, Anteneh Amsalu, Abraham Aseffa. High Burden of Nosocomial Infections Caused by Multi-Drug Resistant Pathogens in Pediatric Patients at Hawassa University Comprehensive Specialized Hospital. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1:45
- Zeleke Ayenew, Habtamu Biazn, Solomon Gebre-Selassie, Biruk yeshitela, Adane Mihret, Tamrat Abebe. Enteric Pathogens and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Profile among Pediatric Patients with Diarrhea in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 57
- Sebsib Neway, Kassu Desta, Walelign Dessie, Tsehayinesh Lema, Biruk Yeshitila. Bacterial Profile and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Patterns from External Ocular Infections and Associated Risk Factors at the All Africa Leprosy Rehabilitation and Training Center (Alert), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 67
- Rawleigh Howe, Ebba Abate, Berhanu Seyoum, Tesfaye Kassa, Tamrat Abebe, Seifegebriel Teshome, Habtamu Biazin, Getnet Ayalew, Mekuanint Geta, Rebie Kedir, Belayneh Dimah, Fitsum Abebe, Seifudin Usman, , Andargachew Mulu, Adane Mihret, Taye Tolera Balcha, Abraham Aseffa. Exploring the Impact of Childhood HBV Vaccination in Ethiopia: A Synopsis and Discussion of Preliminary Findings. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 87
- Mekuanint Geta, Getnet Ayalew, Endalew Yizengaw, Adane Mihret, Abraham Aseffa, Rowliegh Howe, Feleke Moges, Ebba Abate. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Virus Infection and Associated Factors Among Mothers In Gondar, North-West Ethiopia: A Population Based Study. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 1: 97
- Belayne Dimah Taye, Tesfaye Kassa, Lule Teshager, Rebie Kedir Addisu Gize Yeshanew, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe, Adane Mihret. Prevalence and Associated Risk Factors of Hepatitis B and C Virus Infections among Mothers in Jimma, South West Ethiopia: A Community-Based Study. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 109
- Fitsum Abebe, Berhanu Seyoum, Zelalem Teklemariam, Lemessa Oljira, Azeb Tarekegne, Fiker Bekele, Adane Mihret, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Virus Surface Antigen, Anti-Hepatitis C Virus Antibody and their Associated Factors among Mothers Living in Harar, Eastern Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 119
- Habtamu Biazin, Seifegebriel Teshome, Zeleke Ayenew, Tamratabebe, Adane Mihret, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe. Determining Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B And C Virus Infections And Associated Risk Factors Among Apparently Healthy Mothers In Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 129
- Getnet Ayalew, Abate Assefa, Antenehamsalu, Mekuanint Geta, Adane Mihret, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe, Ebba Abate. Immune Protection of Hepatitis B Vaccine among Children Living in Gondar, Northwest Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 139
- Rebie Kedir, Belayneh Dimah Taye, Tesfaye Kassa, Lule Teshager, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe, Adane Mihiret, Addisu Gezie Seroprevalence o f Hepatitis B Virus Infection And Seroprotection Of Hepatitis B Vaccine Among Children In Jimma Town, Southwest Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 147
- Seifudin Usman, Berhanu Seyoum, Bezatu Mengiste, Azeb Tarekegne, Fiker Bekele, Adane Mihret, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe. Serum Level of Anti-Hepatitis B Surface Antigen and Hbv Associated Factors among Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Children in Harar, Eastern Ethiopia: A Community-Based Study. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 159
- Seifegebriel Teshome, Habtamu Biazin, Azeb Tarekegne, Tamrat Abebe, Fiker Bekele, Adane Mihret, Abraham Aseffa, Rawleigh Howe.Antibody Response against Hepatitis B Virus after Vaccination and Seroprevalence of Hbv in Children in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. EMJ 2019 ; Supplement 2: 167
- Bodin J, Mihret A, Holm-Hansen C, Dembinski JL, Trieu MC, Tessema B, Tarekegne A, Yimer SA, Cox R, Aseffa A, Haneberg B, Mjaaland S. Vitamin D Deficiency is Associated with Increased Use of Antimicrobials among Preschool Girls in Ethiopia. Nutrients. 2019 7;11(3)
- Toy T, Pak GD, Duc TP, Campbell JI, El Tayeb MA, Von Kalckreuth V, Im J, Panzner U, Cruz Espinoza LM, Eibach D, Dekker DM, Park SE, Jeon HJ, Konings F, Mogeni OD, Cosmas L, Bjerregaard-Andersen M, Gasmelseed N, Hertz JT, Jaeger A, Krumkamp R, Ley B, Thriemer K, Kabore LP, Niang A, Raminosoa TM, Sampo E, Sarpong N, Soura A, Owusu-Dabo E, Teferi M, Yeshitela B, Poppert S, May J, Kim JH, Chon Y, Park JK, Aseffa A, Breiman RF, Schütt-Gerowitt H, Aaby P, Adu-Sarkodie Y, Crump JA, Rakotozandrindrainy R, Meyer CG, Sow AG, Clemens JD, Wierzba TF, Baker S, Marks F. Multicountry Distribution and Characterization of Extended-spectrum β-Lactamase-associated Gram-negative Bacteria From Bloodstream Infections in Sub-Saharan Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Oct 30;69(Suppl 6):S449-S458
- Leon ME, Kassa E, Bane A, Gemechu T, Tilahun Y, Endalafer N, McKay-Chopin S, Brancaccio RN, Ferro G, Assefa M, Ward E, Tommasino M, Aseffa A, Schüz J, Jemal A, Gheit T. Prevalence of human papillomavirus and Helicobacter pylori in esophageal and gastroesophageal junction cancer biopsies from a case-control study in Ethiopia. Infect Agent Cancer. 2019 Aug 7;14:19
- Mogeni OD, Cruz Espinoza LM, Im J, Panzner U, Toy T, Pak GD, Haselbeck A, Ramani E, Schütt-Gerowitt H, Jacobs J, Metila OL, Adewusi OJ, Okeke IN, Ogunleye VI, Owusu-Dabo E, Rakotozandrindrainy R, Soura AB, Teferi M, Roy KC, Macwright W, Breiman RF, Kim JH, Mogasale V, Baker S, Park SE, Marks F. The Monitoring and Evaluation of a Multicountry Surveillance Study, the Severe Typhoid Fever in Africa Program. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Oct 30;69(Suppl 6):S510-S518
- Park SE, Toy T, Cruz Espinoza LM, Panzner U, Mogeni OD, Im J, Poudyal N, Pak GD, Seo H, Chon Y, Schütt-Gerowitt H, Mogasale V, Ramani E, Dey A, Park JY, Kim JH, Seo HJ, Jeon HJ, Haselbeck A, Conway Roy K, MacWright W, Adu-Sarkodie Y, Owusu-Dabo E, Osei I, Owusu M, Rakotozandrindrainy R, Soura AB, Kabore LP, Teferi M, Okeke IN, Kehinde A, Popoola O, Jacobs J, Lunguya Metila O, Meyer CG, Crump JA, Elias S, Maclennan CA, Parry CM, Baker S, Mintz ED, Breiman RF, Clemens JD, Marks F. The Severe Typhoid Fever in Africa Program: Study Design and Methodology to Assess Disease Severity, Host Immunity, and Carriage Associated With Invasive Salmonellosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Oct 30;69(Suppl 6):S422-S434.
- Adal M, Howe R, Kassa D, Aseffa A, Petros B. Associations of gender and serum total cholesterol with CD4+ T cell count and HIV RNA load in antiretroviral-naïve individuals in Addis Ababa.BMC Public Health. 2018 Jul 31;18(1):943
- Adal M, Howe R, Kassa D, Aseffa A, Petros B. Malnutrition and lipid abnormalities in antiretroviral naïve HIV-infected adults in Addis Ababa: A cross-sectional study. PLoS One. 2018 Apr 19;13(4):e0195942
- Park SE, Pham DT, Boinett C, Wong VK, Pak GD, Panzner U, Espinoza LMC, von Kalckreuth V, Im J, Schütt-Gerowitt H, Crump JA, Breiman RF, Adu-Sarkodie Y, Owusu-Dabo E, Rakotozandrindrainy R, Soura AB, Aseffa A, Gasmelseed N, Keddy KH, May J, Sow AG, Aaby P, Biggs HM, Hertz JT, Montgomery JM, Cosmas L, Olack B, Fields B, Sarpong N, Razafindrabe TJL, Raminosoa TM, Kabore LP, Sampo E, Teferi M, Yeshitela B, et al, Marks F, Baker S. The phylogeography and incidence of multi-drug resistant typhoid fever in sub-Saharan Africa. Nat Commun. 2018 Nov 30;9(1):5094.
- Bitew Kifilie A, Dagnew M, Tegenie B, Yeshitela B, Howe R, Abate E.Bacterial Profile, Antibacterial Resistance Pattern, and Associated Factors from Women Attending Postnatal Health Service at University of Gondar Teaching Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia. Int J Microbiol. 2018 Feb 25;2018: 3165391.
- Huruy K, Mulu A, Liebert UG, Maier M. Correction: HIV-1C proviral DNA for detection of drug resistance mutations. PLoS One. 2018 Nov 1;13(11):
- Belyhun Y, Moges F, Endris M, Asmare B, Amare B, Bekele D, Tesfaye S, Alemayehu M, Biadgelegne F, Mulu A, Assefa Y. Ocular bacterial infections and antibiotic resistance patterns in patients attending Gondar Teaching Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia.BMC Res Notes. 2018 Aug 17;11(1):597
- Baron U, Werner J, Schildknecht K, Schulze JJ, Mulu A, Liebert UG, Sack U, Speckmann C, Gossen M, Wong RJ, Stevenson DK, Babel N, Schürmann D, Baldinger T, Bacchetta R, Grützkau A, Borte S, Olek S. Epigenetic immune cell counting in human blood samples for immunodiagnostics. SciTransl Med. 2018 Aug 1;10(452).
- Ferede G, Tiruneh M, Abate E, Wondimeneh Y, Damtie D, Gadisa E, Howe R, Aseffa A, Tessema BA serologic study of dengue in northwest Ethiopia: Suggesting preventive and control measures.PLoSNegl Trop Dis. 2018 May 31;12(5):e0006430.
- Greenwood BM, Aseffa A, Caugant DA, Diallo K, Kristiansen PA, Maiden MCJ, Stuart JM, Trotter CL. Narrative review of methods and findings of recent studies on the carriage of meningococci and other Neisseria species in the African Meningitis Belt.Trop Med Int Health. 2018 Nov 21
- Ferede G, Tiruneh M, Abate E, Wondimeneh Y, Gadisa E, Howe R, Aseffa A, Tessema B. A study of clinical, hematological, and biochemical profiles of patients with dengue viral infections in Northwest Ethiopia: implications for patient management. BMC Infect Dis. 2018 Dec 4;18(1):616.
- Steinmetz I, Wagner GE, Kanyala E, Sawadogo M, Soumeya H, Teferi M, Andargie E, Yeshitela B, YabaAtsé-Achi L, Sanogo M, Bonfoh B, Rakotozandrindrainy R, PongomboShongo C, Shongoya Pongombo M, KasambaIlunga E, Lichtenegger S, Assig K, May J, Bertherat E, Owusu M, Owusu-Dabo E, Adu-Sarkodie Y. Melioidosis in Africa: Time to Uncover the True Disease Load. Trop Med Infect Dis. 2018 Jun 10;3(2).
- Cooper LV, Boukary RM, Aseffa A, Mihret W, Collard JM, Daugla D, Hodgson A, Sokhna C, Omotara B, Sow S, Quaye SL, Diallo K, Manigart O, Maiden MCJ, Findlow H, Borrow R, Stuart JM, Greenwood BM, Trotter CLInvestigation of correlates of protection against pharyngeal carriage of Neisseria meningitidis genogroups W and Y in the African meningitis belt. PLoS One. 2017;12(8):e0182575
- Adal M, Howe R, Kassa D, Aseffa A, Petros B. Malnutrition and lipid abnormalities in antiretroviral naïve HIV-infected adults in Addis Ababa: A cross-sectional study. PLoS One. 2018; 13(4):e0195942.
- Bitew Kifilie A, Dagnew M, Tegenie B, Yeshitela B, Howe R, Abate E. Bacterial Profile, Antibacterial Resistance Pattern, and Associated Factors from Women Attending Postnatal Health Service at University of Gondar Teaching Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia. Int J Microbiol. 2018;2018:3165391
- G/Eyesus T, Moges, F., Eshetie, S., Yeshitela, B., & Abate, E. (2017). Bacterial etiologic agents causing neonatal sepsis and associated risk factors in Gondar, Northwest Ethiopia. BMC pediatrics, 17(1), 137.
- Sharew B, Mulu A, Teka B, Tesfaye T HIV-Sero-prevalence trend among blood donors in North East Ethiopia. Afr Health Sci. 2017 Sep;17(3):712-718
- Mulu A, Maier M, Liebert UG. Upward trends of acquired drug resistances in Ethiopian HIV-1C isolates: A decade longitudinal study. . PLoS One. 2017 Oct 19
- Mekonnen D, Derbie A, Biadglegne F, Adem Y, Zenebe Y, Mekonnen H, Gebeyaw A, Shumet A, Bereded F, Hailu D, Elfu B, Mihret A, Sack U. Knowledge and practice on magnitude, diagnosis, treatment and prevention strategies of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Ethiopia: A Systematic Review. J. Health Dev. 2017;31(1):44-56
Researchers at BVDRD
Adane Mihret is a Lead Researcher at Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI). He obtained his PhD in Immunology from Stellenbosch University, South Africa in 2013. His main research interest is on host-pathogen interaction and immunology of infectious diseases and Antimicrobial Drug Resistance (AMR).
Wude Mihret, PhD
Senior Researcher,Bacterial and Fungal Case Team Leader
Dr Wude Mihret is a senior scientist currently working at AHRI. She has obtained her PhD in Biomedical Science from Addis Ababa University Department of Microbial Cellular and Molecular Biology. Her PhD study was on Etiology, Disease Severity and Diagnostic Challenges of Bacterial Meningitis during Non-epidemic Seasons in Ethiopia. She did her PhD study through collaboration of Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH)Oslo/Norway and AHRI laboratories. She obtained her MSc and BSc degrees from Addis Ababa University, Department of Biology. She carried out her MSc study at Ethio-Neitherlands AIDS Research Project/ENARP/EPHI laboratory and the study was entitled as “Seroprevalence of Herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 2 in adult Ethiopians: its association with HIV, HSV-l, syphilis and some other risk factors”. The publication of her research including the study on cervical cancer could be accessed from Pubmed: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.
Andargachew Mulu, PhD
Senior Researcher,Virology Case Team Leader
Andargachew Mulu was trained as a Medical Laboratory Technology at Gondar and jimma Universities and Infectious Disease at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia and earned BSc and MSc degrees in 2003 and 2007, respectively. He holds PhD in Virology from The University of Leipzig, Germany in 2013. His broader research involvements include the epidemiology, immunology and molecular biology of infectious diseases with emphasis on viral diseases, sexually transmitted infections [His publication could be access at: Orcid ID: 0000-0003-2862-0175 and Pubmed:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Mulu+A. He is interested in studying emerging viral epidemiology and sequencing of such strains, viral evolution and immune responses besides his in-depth work on HIV and viral hepatitis.
Getachew Tesfaye, PhD
Dr. Getachew obtained PhD degree in Medicine/Molecular Microbiology from Medical faculty of the University of Oslo in 2017. He has got M.Sc degree in Medical Microbiology and B.Sc degree in Biology from Addis Ababa University in 2008 and 2004, respectively. He is interested to researches in the area of infectious diseases, genome maintenance and genomics, and proteomics. Further information on his work can be found in Current Research Information System in Norway (Cristin). https://wo.cristin.no/as/WebObjects/cristin.woa/wa/fres?sort=ar&pnr=447569&la=no&action=sok
Abel Abera, PhD
Dr Abel is currently a Postdoctoral Fellow at AHRI. He has obtained MSc in Molecular Biology from Free University of Brussels, Belgium and PhD in Health Sciences from Ghent University, Belgium. His PhD study was on pneumococcal carriage and disease and the impact of PCV10 in Ethiopia. The outputs of his PhD research were instrumental in the decision made by Ministry of Health to switch from PCV10 to PCV13. He has a profound interest in the application of genomics to study the molecular epidemiology, transmission dynamics and antimicrobial resistance of bacterial pathogens. He is also keen in the application of bacteriophages as alternatives to antibiotics.
Endashaw Nadew Surafel
Research interest: Public health research in areas of TB, HIV, Viral and Infectious diseases, Public health program costing, and environmental & global health areas.
Background: Graduated in general MPH from University of Gondar in 2014 G.C. has a background in Environmental health and Preventive health projects and researches. Intensive work and research experience in public health facilities and different grass root level programs.
Associate Researcher II
Messeret Abebe is an Associate researcher at the Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) and a PhD candidate in the field of medical microbiology at Addis Ababa University. She received bachelor degree in medical laboratory science and MSc in Public health and diagnostic microbiology from Addis Ababa University. Currently, she is writing her PhD proposal on Genotypes of Rubella virus and the burden of Congenital Rubella Syndrome (CRS) in Ethiopia.
Associate Researcher II
Seble Worku is a lecturer at Debre Tabor University and PhD fellow at AAU. She received BSc in Medical laboratory science from Jimma and MSc in medical Microbiology from University of Gondar. Currently she is doing PhD on molecular epidemiology of antibiotics resistance profiles of isolated organism from Surgical site infections.
Biruk Yeshitela is a Researcher II at the Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) and a PhD candidate at Addis Ababa University. He received bachelor degree in medical laboratory science and MSc in medical microbiology from Addis Ababa University. Currently, he is doing his PhD on HIV drug resistance, with a special interest on the validation and verification of in house assay. He is interested in the area of bacteriology and virology research areas.
Yayehyirad Tassachew, working as a lecturer of Medical Microbiology in Hawassa University, college of Medicine and Health sciences. Currently, he is a PhD student in the department of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, Addis Ababa University. The aim of his PhD project is to determine the etiological association of the genotypes and subtypes of hepatitis viruses and non-viral etiologic agents with chronic liver diseases in Ethiopia.
Berhanu Yitayew Sahilu
Berhanu is a PhD student at Addis Ababa University and his research is funded by Sida (Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) through a bilateral partnership between AHRI-AAU-SIDA, called BSPP (Biomedical Sciences Program Partnership). His doctoral thesis is on understanding the role of aquatic environment to the evolution of antibiotic resistance genes and spread of antibiotic resistance bacteria. The study aims to determine potential pathogenic bacteria in the river and its acute and chronic toxicity at molecular level using model organism by taking water samples at different points by considering anthropogenic activities.
Meron Talu is staff of Asosa University and currently she is a PhD student at Addis Ababa University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Veterinary Public Health. Her work is supported by Sida (Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) through a bilateral partnership between AHRI-AAU-SIDA, called BSPP (Biomedical Sciences Program Partnership). She is working on Identification of Akaki River Toxic Pollutants and their biological effect on model organism, Daphnia magna. The study aims to determine the levels of toxic organic and inorganic pollutants that reach the river and study the effect of these pollutants on selected gene expression profile of invertebrates and vertebrates.
Melese Hailu is an academic staff of Addis Ababa University, College of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology. He is working his PhD on molecular epidemiology of carbapenems and colistin resistance and extended spectrum beta-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae among patients suspected for septicemia in Ethiopia. The main objectives of his work is to determine the molecular epidemiology and characterization of antimicrobial resistance pattern among septicemia suspected patients in Ethiopia; Carbapenems resistance Enterobacteriaceae and carbapenems resistance coding genes and ESBLs producing Enterobacteriaceae and ESBLs coding genes.
Fiseha Wadilo, a PhD student at Addis Ababa University, department of Microbial Cellular and Molecular Microbiology (MCMB) and currently working on a PhD project entitled “Viral and bacterial etiologies and biomarkers of severe acute respiratory infection among under 5 years of children in selected hospitals of Ethiopia”. In Ethiopia, insight into the etiology of SARIs is very limited and much of what is known about respiratory pathogens is from data gathered in industrialized countries of the world. Therefore, thepresent study will give comprehensive SARI etiology among children using sensitive molecular diagnostic methods. Furthermore, this study will suggest the utility of some biomarkers to address the need for better diagnostics approaches that can aid in distinguishing between bacterial and viral respiratory tract infections.
Ayichew Seyoum Hassen
Ayichew Seyoum Hassen a faculty member in the Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences at Haramaya University. Currently he is doing his doctoral research on the Molecular Epidemiology of Human Papillomavirus among sexually active Women visiting the Gynecology and Sexually Transmitted Infection testing clinics in Eastern Ethiopia. The aim of his study is identifying circulating HPV genotypes in the region and develops an in-House Multiplex Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction Assay for Genotyping of tissues with confirmed diagnoses of cervical dysplasia and cancer. His research cost fully covered by Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI).
Abdella Gemechu Mekala is an academic staff at Haramaya University (HU), College of Health and Medical Sciences. Currently, he is a PhD student at HU and AHRI. His PhD dissertation project title is ‘’Virological Treatment Outcome, Drug Resistance Mutations and Genotyping of Human Immunodeficiency Virus among Children and Adolescents Receiving First-line Antiretroviral Therapy, Eastern Ethiopia’’. The aims of his project are to determine virologic treatment outcomes, HIV drug resistance mutations and genotyping of HIV-1 among new HIV diagnosed Children and adolescents in Eastern Ethiopia.
Adane Mihret, DVM, PhD
Lead Researcher and Director of BVDRD