- Who we are
- News & Updates
- Work with us
- Contact Us
This is an Open Call for Proposals. Only Full Applications should be submitted for assessment. Applicants must use the Full Application Format and its Annexes.
This Call for Proposals will be open until May 8, 2017.
1.1 GRAND CHALLENGES ETHIOPIA
Ethiopia has developed the health sector transformation plan (HSTP) that transform the health of Ethiopian population in line with UN’s sustainable development goals (SDGs). This bold and ambitious goal requires locally tailored social innovations, new or re-purposed tools and technological solutions. It also entails adopting innovations and technologies that surfaced elsewhere.
To this end, Grand Challenges Ethiopia (GCE) has officially launched during the 17th Annual Review Meeting with the aim of stimulating the creation, appraisal, promotion and scale up of innovative ideas and concepts that are responsive to the defining health- related challenges and assist in the effective implementation HSTP and contribute to achieve the SDGs. GCE is established under Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI), Director General’s office, with its own secretariat and strategic partnership with Grand Challenges Canada, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID and others.
One of the GCE mechanism of action is providing seed grant to individuals or group of individuals to explore and test their innovative ideas in maternal, child and pastoralist community health, which latter can be implemented at scale through the next funding scheme (Transition to Scale).
1.2 OBJECTIVE OF THE CALL
The specific objective of this Call for Proposals is to individuals or group of individuals to explore and test their innovative ideas in the three priority challenges of GCE.
• Challenge 1: Maternal Health
• Challenge 2: Child Health
• Challenge 3: Pastorals community Health
2 Eligibility Criteria
For the application to be eligible, the requirements are as follows:
1. The applicant could be individuals with affiliation to accountable government institution.
2. All project implementation sites must be inside Ethiopia.
3. A project can have a maximum of two Project Leads, at least one Project Lead must be affiliated with the institution from which the proposal is being submitted.
4. A Project Lead may only be listed on one (1) application. An institution may, however, be the applicant on multiple applications, if all applications have different Project Leads.
5. Applications must include all required information and attachments. Only complete applications will be considered for peer review.
6. Grand Challenge Ethiopia typical WILL fund technological innovations (repurposed tools, methods), social and business innovations on the priority thematic areas (maternal, neonatal child and adolescent health, and health innovation targeting pastoralist community).
7. Grand Challenge Ethiopia WILL NOT fund discovery science (pure research proposal), routine capacity-building initiatives or ongoing programmatic funding.
3 How to apply and procedures to follow
3.1 APPLICATION FORM
Please apply using the application documents that is downloaded from this link: www.ahri.org/gce/application_form
You can also request GCE secretariat via: email@example.com
Or call to +251 936575994
In addition also provide:
• The CV of Project lead and co-lead
• Support letter from project lead organization
3.2 WHERE AND HOW TO SEND THE APPLICATION
The application must be submitted through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. And application is considered submitted after a letter of confirmation from GCE is received.
3.3 ASSESSMENT AND SELECTION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications will be examined and assessed by GCE taskforce according to the following criteria:
(a) Soundness of proposed innovations:
(b) Feasibility of the use or implementation of the proposed innovations, tools or technologies:
(c) Consistency with exiting policy, sustainability and potential population-level impacts:
(d) Value for money: Delivers a strategically focused response to the grand challenges in a cost-efficient manner
4 Notice to applicants
Applicants will be notified by GCE in writing of the decision concerning their application. Notice of decision will not be given before the whole assessment process is finalized. GCE does not have the obligation to motivate its decision on support and the decision cannot be overruled. GCE would like to underline that funding for the innovation will be made available subject to parliamentary appropriation of funds. Furthermore, no financial commitment will be made by GCE until an agreement has been signed with the chosen organization.
5 Further information regarding the application
Questions regarding this Call for Proposals may be sent via e-mail to the following email@example.com Or call to +251 936575994. It can be accessed via www.ahri.org/gce
Developed by: Hilinaab