Call for PhD student
Project Title: Modulation of C-type lectin receptor expression by helminth or HIV infection:
Setting the threshold for sensing of mycobacteria
Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) is a basic/translational biomedical and clinical epidemiology researches, and clinical trial facility under the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. In addition, AHRI is known as a hub for skill and technology transfer by providing competitive post graduate research training opportunity. Under the project in collaboration with the Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene University Hospital Erlangen, Germany.The aim of the project is to investigate whether expression levels and sensing function of C-type lectin receptors (CLR) involved in recognition of MTB are indeed affected by underlying helminth infection.
- Project site:
The candidate will largely be based in Bahir Dar and may travel abroad for both theoretical and practical trainings
Studentships will typically be for three years. The research project starts immediately upon acceptance.
- Eligibility Criteria:
- Applicants must be Ethiopian nationals and should be hold a Master’s degree in biomedical science.
- The students must be registered at public universities in Ethiopia and completed the required first year course work and related activities in their PhD program.
- Additional training and skills on molecular biology and immunology including RT-PCR, Flowcytometry, in vitro stimulation and so on, with demonstrated publications will be an advantage.
- Roles and Responsibilities of the candidate:
- Should dedicate 100% of her/his time for the project
- Put maximum effort in participant recruitment, laboratory analysis as well as accurate data collection and handling
- Make sure the technical capacities and capabilities are transferred from AHRI and establish in Bahir Dar regional lab
- Deliver activity plans and reports as per the schedule
- How to Apply:
Applicants should submit the following to AHRI, Research Training Directorate (email@example.com ) in soft copy.
- A cover letter and their CV, including full contact details of two referees.
- Copies of their BSc and MSc degrees and transcripts
- Copy of transcript reflecting first year PhD courses
- Recommendation letter from their university PhD advisor to undertake this PhD studentship
Note: Please make sure you mention the project title in the application (motivation letter)
Application closing date: November 13,2020